- + Baby Wrap Slings
- + Baby Carriers
- + Clothing & more
- + Trainings
- + Babywearing Advisor
- + DIDYMOS Community
- + About DIDYMOS
Cotton - versatile and fair
Cotton is a robust natural vegetable fibre and the classic material par excellence - not only in the textile industry, but also in our slings and carriers. Almost all of our slings are made of cotton as the basic component, many are even made of 100% cotton.
What is so special about cotton? On one hand, cotton is soft, light, breathable and absorbent. On the other hand, it is incredibly easy to care for and resistant - perfect for everyday items such as bed linen, tablecloths and baby slings.
Cotton grows not only in white, but also in soft brown and natural green. That's why patterns can be woven without having to dye cotton, such as with our popular classic baby sling DIDYMOS Jersey Doubleface Stars Colour Grown Cotton.
Did you know? Cotton itself is not very elastic - only our special weave gives our slings the desired elasticity and strength without using elastaine.
The cotton for our DIDYMOS baby slings comes from controlled organic cultivation. Fair prices for the farmers, production with lower water and energy consumption and processing in factories with high social standards are guaranteed. All our pre-stages are GOTS certified.
Cotton slings as easy-care all-rounders
Many parents choose a cotton sling, especially at the beginning. We also recommend a simple cotton sling for all beginners to babywearing.
There are several reasons for this: firstly, cotton slings are soft and require no or only short period for wearing in. Secondly, they are very easy to care for, which can be an advantage especially with newborns or "spit-up" children. Washed quickly and dried in the dryer if necessary, they are ready for use again in a flash. Cotton wrap slings are also suitable for the entire time the baby is worn. Tied in a single layer, newborns can be carried safely in the front wrap cross carry, the kangaroo carry or in a simple ruck. Larger or heavier children sit comfortably in multi-plass carries, such as the Double Hammock - right through to toddlerhood.
Washing and caring for cotton slings
It is not without reason that cotton wrap slings are so popular and are also affectionately referred to as "easycare wraps" in babywearing jargon. Because washing them is child's play!
How to care for your cotton sling:
- Cotton slings can be washed at up to 60°C in the washing machine on the gentle cycle without any problems.
- Spinning is also ok - however, we recommend a max spin speed of 600 revolutions, or even better only 400.
- Please use little liquid detergent without optical brighteners or bleaching agents.
- Do not use fabric softener! It damages the fibres and is ecologically harmful. Alternatively, you can add a dash of vinegar to the fabric softener compartment.
- Then you can air dry it. Caution: do not hang in direct sunlight!
- If necessary, the sling can also be dried in the dryer on the gentle setting.
- You can then iron your cotton sling on the highest setting while it is still slightly damp. This will keep the sling supple and it will thank you for this care with extra longevity.
Cotton slings shrink easily the first time they are washed - no need to worry! This is expected and is already taken into account when the length is measured during cutting.